Around the World

Apparently Sydney's gravitational pull is too strong. Once again I find myself Down Under. Will I escape once more? Or will I remain quarantined in Terra Australis forever? I suppose I can call it home again... for now... (See my travel archives by clicking on the links listed on the left under "Archives").

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Courchevel, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty Metres ABOVE the Sea

Starring
Susan Jelly as Wee Suzie
Paul Jones as Bones
Pascale Moray as Scali
Tim Helyar as Earle and Largo Winch
Karen Naughton as Kaz
David Corbett as Corbo
Erin Golding as Eggs
Kate Golding as Goldos
AND special guest star... Sam Ervin as Sambo "Calamari Club" Ervos

Six days in Courchevel during 2005 was...
Hearing Ervos' verbal guitar riff - "eeeooooow!", toe side/heel side, finding untouched powder aka pow pow. Am I goofy? Am I natural? Definately goofy... no maybe natural... The relentless pursuit of "first lift tomorrow fellas", the Skiworld staff - wasted Bex, Jo, Tom, and Jen. Croissants, Le Patissier, bread and cheese, red wine. Crazy tobogganing one night. Sore bums and bruised knees from rookie mistakes. Abandoning profanities for the much tamer "Oh gee!" when I ruined my knees. On piste/off piste. Am I goofy? Am I natural? Definately natural... no maybe goofy... Stacking it royally in front of super cool snowboarder dudes (of course) whilst trying to disembark from the chair lifts. And hence always opting for the gondola where possible. Late nights, too much bread, cheese and red wine. Absolute exhaustion. Being surrounded by vistas fit for an Evian marketing programme. Damn "hippy vegetarians" and some guy with a "It's time to free Tibet" sticker on his board. The Playstation airgames featuring a kid breaking his fall with his head. Mixing new and old friends. Am I goofy? Am I natural? Definately goofy... no maybe natural... English lads throwing bananas in a bar - leading to the creation of the Courchevel Civil Order Committee. Being surrounded by English geezers despite being in France. Largo Winch, someone to whom we all aspire to be. Frozen toes and fingertips. Fresh bread, cheese and red wine. Runs turning to ice in the sun. Confusing your ambition with your very limited ability and having to use your butt rather than your board to negotiate a particularly steep Red Run. Experiencing a face first fall style known as The Scorpion, does it need an explanation? Corbo's busted kidney. Freezin' on the bus between Lyon and Courchevel. Am I goofy? Am I natural? You decide, because I certainly cannot.

What a fantastic week! Photos to follow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home