Around the World

Apparently Sydney's gravitational pull is too strong. Once again I find myself Down Under. Will I escape once more? Or will I remain quarantined in Terra Australis forever? I suppose I can call it home again... for now... (See my travel archives by clicking on the links listed on the left under "Archives").

Friday, July 15, 2005

Impressions of London "after the events of last Thursday"

The English stiff upper lip is alive and well. And in some ways I'm thankful, I think it's made it easier to deal.

I wrote this next bit last Friday but haven't had a chance to post it:

The Show Must Go On...
The majority of West End theatres were closed last night. The show at the Piccadilly was back on tonight. I rode the tube to work with my friend Robynne. My heart was beating fast and we both felt uneasy. So much so that Robynne and I had to get off at Embankment to get some air, before jumping on the next tube.
People were clutching their bags as if to say 'This is mine, this is not a suspicious package, this is not a bomb'. Eyes were darting back and forth, around the carriage. It was altogether an unsettling experience.
As I sat in the auditorium I thought of an interview with Jennifer Aniston I once read. She said that when they recorded the first Friends show post 9-11 there was a feeling that the audience needed it, the release, to laugh and distance themselves from what had happened (or something to that effect). I really feel that was true of the show tonight. People just want to feel normal.

But after taking a late night stroll along the Thames last night, one week on - London is alive and well, stiff upper lip or no, I love it here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home