Around the World

Apparently Sydney's gravitational pull is too strong. Once again I find myself Down Under. Will I escape once more? Or will I remain quarantined in Terra Australis forever? I suppose I can call it home again... for now... (See my travel archives by clicking on the links listed on the left under "Archives").

Monday, July 18, 2005

Glastonbury 2005

I know it happened a few weeks ago but as I explained in an earlier post I haven't been able to access my photos of late, but never fear I'm back online.
Here's what I wrote in my book about Glastonbury:
On Friday morning rain bucketed down, loads of people lost their tents when they were swept away. We were camped up on a hill so we didn't have that problem. I got stranded in the rain in a foolish attempt to go to the toilet when I woke up. As I was making my way back to my tent 2 hours later, drenched and cold, the rain eased and a spontaneous cheer erupted across the festival site.
The sun came out just as John Butler Trio took the stage. I've seen them once before at the Sydney Entertainment Centre when they were supporting Powderfinger. I really like their music and I love how their songs seem to go on and on but not in a monotonous way.
Friday afternoon I got separated from my friends. With only 6 quid in my pocket and a ridiculously long line up at the ATM truck, I decided to buy 2 beers instead of dinner.
The White Stripes were fantastic that night. I really love that Hotel Yorba song and they played it much to my delight. Watching Jack White on the xylophone was mesmerising. I was to the left of the stage near a big screen. Seeing the way Jack and Meg look at each other while performing was amazing and slightly disturbing too. They seem to be able to communicate so much to one another with just one glance.
My wellies were an absolute godsend. Forget the shares in Coca-Cola, the £9.95 I spent at Millets on those simple little boots was the best investment I've ever made. Going to the toilet was a nightmare, ridiculous queues and grubby portaloos. Then, we discovered the "She-Pee", a disposable cardboard funnel that allows women to pee like a man at a urinal. Brilliant!!!!! I was suitably impressed with our generation's commitment to dental hygiene. We'll booze it up all night long, eat crappy food, smoke cigarettes and engage in all manner of tooth destroying activity and then always brush our teeth when we get up in the morning. I had to laugh as I surveyed the camp ground to see so many people cleaning their teeth each day.
All in all Glastonbury is a very well organised and executed festival. I had such a good time but boy was that shower enjoyable when we got back to London. I don't think I've ever seen so much mud in all my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home